Please note that all fees quoted are exclusive of VAT
We will always provide an estimate of our legal fees for the remortgaging of a residential property, including disbursements, before we start work for you.
When you are remortgaging a property, the key stages of the transaction are set out below. We will:
- Set you up as a client on our systems, take instructions from you, and agree a scope of work for your transaction which will be set out in a client care letter to you
- Review the title deeds to your property and provide advice as necessary
- Liaise with your new mortgage lender to ensure compliance with their policies and procedures, including submitting any property searches they may require
- Review the mortgage documentation and provide advice to you on the terms
- Report to the new mortgage lender as required
- Complete the remortgage
- Take care of all post-completion matters, including applying to the Land Registry to register the new mortgage and the discharge of the old mortgage, and notifying you and your mortgage lender once this has been completed
You should be aware of the services that we will not carry out for you:
- We do not advise on the value of the property
- We will not physically inspect your property
- We will not provide any advice on any tax implications of the transaction beyond basic advice on SDLT
- We will not provide any planning or building regulations compliance advice
- We will not provide any advice in respect of any environmental liability at the property
This list is not exhaustive, and we will let you know of anything else we will not be able to provide advice to you on.
Our fees are based on the value of the property, although there will be additional fees payable dependent on the transaction we are being asked to advise on. Below is a list of the fees we will charge on your remortgage.
|Value of Property||Fee|
|Up to £249,999||£850|
|£250,000 – £499,999||£1,250|
|£500,000 – £749,999||£1,500|
|£750,000 – £999,999||£1,750|
|£1,000,000 – £1,249,999||£2,000|
|£1,250,000 – £1,499,999||£2,250|
|£1,500,000 – £1,749,999||£2,500|
|£1,750,000 – £1,999,999||£2,750|
|£2,000,000 – £2,499,999||£3,000|
|£2,500,000 – £2,999,999||£3,250|
|£3,000,000 – £3,499,999||£3,500|
|£3,500,000 – £3,999,999||£3,750|
|£4,000,000 plus||£4,000 plus|
chargeable when a bill is rendered.
Extra Fee Factors
|Buy to Let||£300|
|Same Day Payment||£25|
chargeable when a bill is rendered.
|Searches||Variable||The searches will depend on the nature and location of the property, as well as your mortgage lender’s requirements. |
We will advise you of the cost before submitting the searches but they typically fall in the £200 – £400 range.
|Land Registry Fee||Variable||The fee payable to the Land Registry for registration of the transfer and mortgage is dependent on the value of the property. You can use the Land Registry Fee Scale to check how much this will be.|
Factors that may increase costs
In some circumstances, there will be additional factors affecting your remortgage that will require an additional fee from you for us to deal with on your behalf. Here are some examples:
- If there is a defect in your title that requires remediation before completion.
- If a trust deed is required in respect of ownership of the property
- If your mortgage lender instructs their own solicitors rather than instructs this firm to act for them as well as you
- If your mortgage lender has more complex requirements that require additional work on our part
How long it takes to complete your remortgage is difficult to anticipate and is typically dependent on a variety of factors that may not always be within our control. Here is a list of factors that impact on how quickly a transaction takes to proceed:
- Whether the property is freehold or leasehold. Freehold transactions tend to be faster to complete. For leasehold properties, there is more title due diligence required, and it may take some time for landlords or management companies to provide a management sales pack
- If your lender requires searches to be undertaken and how quickly the searches come back. Many of the desktop searches come back very quickly. There are however some searches like a local search that can take some time to come back depending on the local authority responsible for supplying it
- How efficient the other parties involved in the transaction are. Rest assured that we will progress your matter as quickly and efficiently as possible, but we have noticed in some matters that other parties involved (mortgage lenders, management companies) tend not to move as quickly
- How complex your property’s title is, and whether any additional work is required as a result
Typically remortgages can take between six to ten weeks to complete from first instruction.
What are your next steps?
Please get in touch with us. We look forward to helping you.