What is Commercial Property?
Commercial property transactions relate to the buying, selling, leasing, disposal or refinancing of land on behalf of commercial organisations such as companies, developers, partnerships, charities and not for profits. These transactions can often be at a high value or involve complex negotiations and expert drafting skills. Commercial property transactions can also involve due diligence, conflict clearance, multiple parties and anti-money laundering regulations.
Who are we?
The Property team has a long and highly regarded reputation for its ability to navigate complex, difficult and sensitive property transactions. Ranked Tier 4 in the Legal 500, the team is made up of solicitors with City training in Real estate and anenviable academic knowledge of property law, especially that relating to trust property and niche aspects of property transactions. The team has been entrusted with property work on behalf of institutional clients down the centuries, and is one of only a handful of teams well versed in this area of practice.
What can we help you with?
Our commercial property services include advising:
- on sales and purchases of commercial property
- on conditional contracts and option agreement
- on new leases and transfers of existing leases
- landlords and tenants on all aspects of their property interests, including licences
- on property development and potential issues
- on managing property portfolios
- trust or investment properties
- on dilapidations
- on disputes arising from properties, and property litigation
- clients on bank security work and commercial mortgage lending
The combined experience across all the team members ensures that the client receives the best possible advice and assistance at all times, combining legal know how and a practical approach to finding a balanced solution that works for the client.
Charities and not-for-profit organisations are central to this firm’s practice. The firm has particular expertise with religious charities, having acted for a cross-section of Christian denominations since it was first established during the eighteenth century.
We act for a broad spectrum of charities throughout England and Wales. We pride ourselves on our specialist charity property expertise, something very few law firms in the country are able to offer. Christopher Perkins has been rated as a “Rising Star” in this specialist area by the Legal 500.
We regularly advise charities on the following property related matters:
- Sale and acquisition of property unique to charities, including places of worship, burial grounds, schools and listed buildings
- Development of charity land, including conditional contracts, planning issues, overage and clawback
- Leases (including assured shorthold tenancies) of, and licences to occupy, charity property
- Advising on complex issues affecting charity property titles, including restrictive covenants, easements and party wall issues
- Property trusts and issues that may arise during the course of administration, as well as advising charity trustees of their duties and obligations in respect of their charity’s property
- First registrations of charity land (including those where the title deeds have been lost or destroyed or where paper title to the land has never existed)
- Disposal of charity property to connected persons under section 118 of the Charities Act 2011 and advice on applying to the Charity Commission for such purposes
- Property disputes
- Mortgages and financing in relation to charity land
What will it cost?
We aim to put together a team at the right level of expertise for your property matter and agree a fee structure that works for you and your organisation. In some instances, such as for small charities, we can agree a fixed fee. In all aspects we price competitively, keep you advised as to fees and set out the range of disbursements relating to the transaction so that you feel comfortable with our costs at every stage of the transaction, given that some may take many months.
What are your next steps?
Please get in touch with us. We look forward to helping you.