Ian is a Partner in the Private Client Department. He has worked in private client for over 36 years dealing with all aspects of estate and trust administration, succession and tax planning and trust creation.
Starting as a trust assistant in 1987, Ian’s attention to detail and ability to explain complex issues in plain language soon saw his role expanded to dealing with estate administration, Will drafting and tax planning, as well as dealing with all aspects of trust work. Qualifying as a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives in 1995 Ian became one of the first one hundred Legal Executive partners when the law changed to allow partnership promotion to Legal Executives.
Ian has dealt with all manner of estates from the simple and straightforward to complex high value estates including those involving family businesses, foreign domicile and overseas assets and Heritage Property.
Ian provides common sense succession and tax planning to a wide range of clients who find his attention to detail and thorough and friendly approach invaluable.
Ian acts as a professional trustee and executors for clients and is appointed as an attorney by his clients on a regular basis.
- Acting for the executors of a landed estate involving Heritage Property and a Finance Act 1975 Capital Transfer Tax Recapture charge
- Acting as trustee for a family trust owning commercial property, including managing the assets to ensure maximum returns and a regular flow of income for the beneficiaries.
- Providing succession planning for a high net worth couple to enable them to structure their retirement plans in a tax efficient manner.
- Proving inheritance tax advice to UK resident non-domiciled couple with assets in Japan and New Zealand
- Helping an executor to make a successful offer in lieu of tax on a historically significant work of art comprised in his relatives estate, including liaising with HMRC, the Arts Council, DCMS and the estate’s valuation advisor.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
- Pothecary Witham Weld inc. Haslam & Payne Solicitors 2023 – present
- Gregory Rowcliffe & Co (latterly Gregory Rowcliffe Milners, and GRM Law and now Greenwoods Legal LLP) 1987 – 2023
- University of Westminster
- Mid-Kent College
Ian has a young daughter who keeps him busy but he still manages to find time to play golf to a poor standard. Ian is a lifelong Leeds United fan, enjoys dining out and music and has an interest in military history, often dragging his family to long forgotten battlefields.