Gerald is a Partner and the Head of the Church and Charities and Private Client teams. He has been advising third sector organisations and individuals for several decades. His clients value his expertise, discretion, wisdom and quiet authority in matters where they set great store by his judgement. He has particular expertise in governance arrangements for charities and religious organisations, charitable legacies (including contentious legacies), complex probate and estate administration issues and tax.
- Adapting the grant-making strategy of a Foundation to assist with emergency funding for organisations affected by Covid-19;
- Advising a charity on the consequences of a guarantee it signed many years ago relating to the liabilities owed to a pension scheme owed by another charity;
- Extended governance review within a social care charity to strengthen its position in a challenging environment.
- Pothecary Witham Weld inc. Haslam & Payne Solicitors 1989 – present
- University of Birmingham
- Charity Law Association
- Law Society Private Client section
- Solicitors for the Elderly
- Conference of Solicitor for Catholic Charities
- Churches’ Legislation Advisory Service
Gerald is a trustee of a number of charities and a large pension fund. He also acts as trustee of a large number of private trusts. In his spare time, he enjoys theatre, involvement in the arts scene, and travel.